Shangri-La Records is the oldest record store in town, and this is their 25th year in business. Inside the hallowed walls of Shangri-La you'll find music that's new, old, local, and rare, plus an interesting collection of other stuff including posters, magazines, shirts, and a cardboard cutout of Issac Hayes as Black Moses. Here are ten ways that you can celebrate Shangri-La's quarter century as a Memphis institution.
Meet Jared McStay, owner of Shangri-La Records. Photo provided by Shangri-La Records.
1. Go to the Shangri-La Shindig with Grifters and Ex-Cult on Saturday. Memphis music legends Grifters are reuniting for their final show this year on November 30 at 9 p.m. at Minglewood Hall's 1884 Lounge. They put out five albums in the 90s and disbanded in 2000, but they're back for one more night in honor of Shangri-La.
3. Go to Shangri-La's three-day anniversary sale this weekend (11/29 – 12/1). Everything will be 25 percent off, naturally.
4. Go to the free show on Saturday at the store. The Dead Soliders and J.D. Reager (who actually works at Shangri-La) will play.
5. Sell them something. Shangri-La buys and trades records, CDs, DVDs, books, posters, etc., with an emphasis on Memphis stuff.
6. Listen to something you've never heard before at the Listening Station in the east room of the store. But make sure you follow the rules.
7. Buy some new Memphis music, i.e., "Motel Mirrors" from Amy Lavere/John Paul Keith, "I Can't Wait" from Star & Micey.
8. Buy some classic Memphis music, i.e., "On the Loose" from Hi Rhythm, "I Can't Stand the Rain" from Ann Peebles.
9. Eat some cake, because we all know that cake is the most important part of a birthday.
Random cake from All-American Sweets.
10. If you're still reading, congrats. You could win two tickets to the Grifters show on Saturday. Just leave me a comment telling me that you want to go and I'll pick a random winner.
Shangri-La is open daily (Monday – Friday, 12 p.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m., and Sunday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.).
1916 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104