Today in Memphis, a beloved rivalry comes to an end, we get express bus routes and MemShop is looking for applications. Also, Tony Allen dishes out hugs.
But before we get to all of that, check out this photo that @mook76 shot of Kait Lawson performing at the Poplar Lounge:
If you'd like to your Instagram photos of Memphis featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
- The biggest news today (at least for college basketball fans) is that Josh Pastner is depriving us of one of our favorite civic passtimes: hating on the University of Tennessee. Friday night's game at UT will be the Tigers' last. To prepare them, Coach P has been blasting "Rocky Top" at practice. To prepare yourself, I recommend thinking up some insults more creative than "Hill people go home!"
- Hold me closer, Tony Allen. (It's nothing weird – just an amazing photo of Tony giving an enthusiastic hug.)
- I know that it doesn't seem like it today, but 2012 was Memphis' warmest year on record.
- If you had a baby in Tennessee last year and named it Emma or William, you're right on trend.
- MemShop, a series of pop-up shops featuring local entrepreneurs, is looking for applications for their 2013 shops. Partnerships are encouraged, so feel free to team up with friends. Preference will be given to Memphis residents, but all will be considered. Here's the application.
- Lastly, Memphis is getting a new form of rapid transit, sort of. MATA is launching two Bus Rapid Transit routes on Poplar and Elvis Presley Blvd.
I can't do it alone: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter.