Today in Memphis, St. Jude gets a big deal donor, Memphis gets more beer selection, a midtown corner gets a mystery redevelopment and D.J. Stephens gets birthday cake. Also, we all get closer to Christmas vacation.
Here's your Wednesday Memphis news update:
Photo of Starry Nights by @crystalchick, who can take a much better picture of Christmas lights than most of us. If you'd like to see your Instagram photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– Happy birthday to my favorite (and, judging by the cheering last Saturday, your favorite) Memphis Tiger, D.J. Stephens, our greatest no-star recurit.
– Think you can sing like Aretha? The Memphis Symphony Orchestra is holding a competition for Memphis students, and the winner will get to sing "Respect" with the orchestra in January. Submission videos are due by January 11th, details are here.
– Eric Trump, son of Donald, has pledged $20 million to St. Jude. Awesome.
– Memphis' beer selection is about to get just a little bit better. Brooklyn Brewery is starting local distribution in February.
– The corner of Union and McLean is about to be the site of some mystery redevelopment.
– You've only got five more days to check out the Overton Square MemShop. Go. Go now. Or, you know, when they open.
– Lastly, here's an important message from Elvis and the Memphis Mafia.
I can't do it without you: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter.